Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Eco Friendly Yes BUT I admire my car for getting me there faster than a bike

A sad story of a girl and her Subaru named Betty...
Yes.... so what? who cares? I name my possessions- those that i'm "around most of the time" My car is a 1998 Subaru Impreza L .. one that i've had many adventures in and i've done some silly,silly things... my car has gotten me to and from faithfully for over a year (shes very new to me still) and welp... I noticed a leak..took her to the shop and this is what they said...
"Your car needs a new engine and two front anxel's, your CV joints are toast and they are needing to be replaced soon. We don't do engine work here so you would need to take it somewhere else. If I was you I would start with the axel's and then take it from there and try not to drive it"..with disrepair and the sadness in my eyes one of the mechanics walked away while the other one stayed in the waiting room with myself and boys. He said "I would put stop leak in it, drive it until it blows up or unless you've got $7K to spare for a new engine." I told him "well, that is not going to happen right now and I guess i'll have to figure something else out" he said "start with the little things, then work your way up" so, after we had left the mechanics I decided to head down to a discount store to look at there selection of bikes. There bikes were cheap but..not "cute" and "stylish" as i'd like. So I left bikeless in my poor Betty. The next morning, a new day I decided I was going to find my bike that I want at a decent price and start biking to and from where I need to and want to go. This included my favorite craft stores...a measly 3 miles away big whoop right? So after work today (Sat) I decided once again I needed to go find a bike so I could park my beloved betty until I could figure something out. I went to 3 different stores and after a pit stop at the local 5bucks (har har) I got myself a Tronca (31 oz Starbucks!) I went back to one of the stores and purchased my new spankin' bike!
A lovely white and pink Schwinn! with 7 speeds. It is a cruiser and i'm in LOVE ... I went all out..bought a cute metal mesh basket, cup holder, bike pump, and heavy duty level 4 bike lock with keys... I need to find a helmet! .. so this is what I have...........................
My New set of wheels! 
It was interesting to get this into the back of my car but.... the front wheel comes off easily with some turning of a handle. This will be the best $200 investment of 2012...other than what i'm about to do SOON.....
So, after about an hour of fussing and figuring out how my new parts went together I now have a place for.............. FABRIC! when i'm not using my bike... har har
I'm so excited about this I can hardly contain my enthusiasm. Not only am I going to save money on gas.. but i'm going to be having fun and exercising all at the same time.. and now that I am on vacation for the next 10 days or so i've got a lot of The Spring Water Trail i've got to get familiar with again!
So...anyways......
The next few days of not weeks is going to be dedicated to fixing my car.... MYSELF!!! I pick up all my parts on Tuesday. The guys at AutoZone were totally cool and printed me off all the pages I need to fix this girl myself! i'm just doing the front main seal, the timing and serpentine belts for now but later on down the road with the advice of a mechanically included uncle I will fix the rear  seal and put in a new clutch...
I even bought some awesome new gloves to work on my car!!!!!!!!!............

Chicks need e'm too! Watch out boys here we come!
oh yes I did! .................................... those bad girls were not cheap either but..might as well be slightly fashionable?!

i'm sure a lengthy blog will be written in a few days if not week(s)....

No comments:

Post a Comment